Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mount Leadership Society

While thinking of an organization I'm involved in to discuss for this weeks post, the first thing that came to mind was my fraternity, since this is a greek leadership class.  Once I really started thinking about the question though I decided the best possible choice for me would be to discuss my scholars program.  Mount Leadership Society.  Quite possibly the best decision I've made during my college years would be joining "Mount" as we like to call it.

Mounts Ideals seem to fall right in line with mine.  It's a program dedicated to furthering the leadership skills of individuals through community service.  I guess the most obvious reason I decided to pick this organization was because of my familiarity with the org, seeing as I am a member of this organization.  But another reason I decided to talk about this organization was because of the way that our director (Kathy Krajnak) and those associated with the org display their values.  Although each member is a college student many of those who are in the program always make sure that they are upholding the organizations values.  That isn't to say that members aren't prone to have momentary lapses in judgment or that none of us make mistakes, because no one is perfect but there are many situations where we sit back and think, "Would Kathy be upset if she found out about this situation", or even "How will I/we be looked upon once people find out about this situation?"  Mount's values are almost always in the back of our heads because they are so deeply ingrained within each member.  The values we are taught while in the program are apparent in every activity we do.  Every community service, every event and every meeting we attend all have one thing in common, they are almost always covering one of Mount's essential principles.  Some of which are 1) creating and nurturing relationships 2) being prepared and following though 3) honor of integrity 4) valuing individuals and 5) willingness to teach others.

I know Mount's values because as previously stated, they are present in everything associated with Mount.  Almost every educational opportunity put on by mount in some way shape or form embodies one of the essentials.  By making sure that these "essentials" are present in all interactions they become second nature for the individuals within the organization, thus we are always representing Mount and putting on display their/our values.

No comments:

Post a Comment